Sunday 20 March 2016

Weekend at Niagara waterfall, New York

I got an opportunity to visit the USA for a month as office assignment. I was staying in Stamford, Connecticut. Out of 4 weekends in the USA, I was busy in the office on the first weekend. But later I explored NYC on one weekend and Niagara Fall on next weekend. So, in this part, I would like to share my travel experience from Niagara Fall trip.

This was my Solo trip to Niagara.

Niagara Fall, NY
Niagara Fall, NY

About Niagara Fall:
               Niagara fall is waterfall located on Niagara River and the international border between United State and Canada. It is consist of 3 falls namely the Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. The Horseshoe Falls, also known as the Canadian Falls, as most of it, lies in Canada. The American Falls is entirely within the New York State, United States. The Bridal Veil Falls is the smallest of the three waterfalls.

19th March 2016: Stamford to Niagara:
                My stay was in Stamford, I have to catch early morning Metro-North to reach NYC. I wanted to have road trip but as I was a solo traveler, I choose bus journey from NYC. I don't like to go with package tour options. My plan was decided on last minute so I contact Take Tour Company. I asked them to provide the only bus and stay facility whereas I explored Niagara by my own way.

Snowfall at Stamford Hotel
Snowfall at Stamford Hotel

My First Snowfall experience at Stamford
My First Snowfall experience at Stamford

              I reached Grand center terminal, NYC at 6.30 AM. I took Subway to reach 8th Ave, Brooklyn. The bus left NYC by 7.30 AM. Bus operator tries to convince me to take their sightseen tour but I was firm on my decision. The route to Niagara was I-80 -> Corning Museum -> Glass to Buffalo -> Niagara Fall, NY. The entire journey was scenic. It was clear weather with a cold breeze and Feel factor temperature was near to 2 degrees C.

Corning Museum of Glass
Corning Museum of Glass

Glass Art at Corning Museum of Glass
Glass Art at Corning Museum of Glass

               The bus took a break at welcome center of Pennsylvania. After a quick coffee break, we went to visit Corning glass of Museum. Entry to the museum is $18 and it consists of different sections. I really enjoyed the various demonstrations of how different glass things are made and learned a lot of interesting things. Museum consists of a huge collection of Glass art. You can buy glass art from this place as wellThere is a show of 20-30 min which take us to a Glass world. Also, you can enjoy the making of glass. Now if you wanted to learn glass making then there is a different section in which you can learn glass making. Even if you're not interested in glass making, they allow you to see the classroom.

Glass Art at Corning Museum of Glass
Glass Art at Corning Museum of Glass

Dress made up of Glass
Dress made up of Glass

Glass making workshop

              After the museum visit, we went to Niagara. I enjoyed countryside view during my bus journey. We reached Niagara by 4.30-5PM. My Hotel stay was at "Quality Hotel & Suites at the fall". I had coffee (Which was must need in freezing weather) and went out for a walk in Niagara fall state park. While taking a walk in any direction in the park, you can enjoy Niagara fall view from different angles. Walkways are designed very beautifully in the park.

Niagara Fall in evening, New York side
Niagara Fall in evening from New York side

              It was 5.30 PM in clock due to which all attraction was closed for the day. Mid of mist was closed for winter as fall was partially frozen. You can see Canada side from fall. View of Niagara Falls was breathtaking. It is a truly amazing place to view the gigantic waterfall. State park gives you plenty of opportunity for photography at fall. After long walk nearby Niagara Fall, I came back to the room.

Evening at Niagara Fall, New York
Evening at Niagara Fall, New York

              I had street side food in dinner and went again in Niagara State park. There is light show at Niagara fall when different lights are focused in fall from Canada side. It starts at 9PM. When the lights go on at night it is just beautiful. Weather was freezing cold and the temperature went down to Zero. I enjoyed the show and went back to Hotel for rest.

Freezing point
Freezing point

Light show at Niagara Fall, New York
Light show at Niagara Fall, New York

Light show at Niagara Fall, New York
Light show at Niagara Fall, New York

20th March 2016: Niagara to Stamford:
              I woke at 6 AM. Our first destination was Old Fort Niagara. It is located few miles away from Niagara fall site. Fort area is quite huge which contain tourist center, Fort entrances, green lawn, rotating cannon, and fortification. Fort is built on land with a lake surrounded by water. You can view Toronto city of Canada from this fort. Overall nice fort and can spend more than an hour easily.

watch tower at Old Fort Niagara
watch tower at Old Fort Niagara

Old Fort Niagara
Old Fort Niagara

Toronto City from Old Fort Niagara
Toronto City from Old Fort Niagara

Cannon at Old Fort Niagara
Cannon at Old Fort Niagara

               Next stop was Whirlpool State park which is located on the Niagara River. This park is an easy drive up the Robert Moses Parkway from Niagara Falls and provides stunning views of the river. The Nice walkway is available on the bank of river and mountain. Park is maintained nicely and lots of places to take beautiful photographs. Even you can take pictures including Canadian side in the back ground.

Whirlpool State Park, Canada on other side
Whirlpool State Park, Canada on Other side

              After morning visits, we came back to Niagara Fall. I went in Niagara State park to explore Fall Sites. As I mentioned in the blog, it consists of 3 falls namely the Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. American Falls is second largest fall on Niagara and easily accessible to view from State park walkway. The height of this fall is between 70 to 110 feet. You can view fall from several meters of the edge of the fall.

Niagara Fall, New York
Niagara Fall, New York

             There is one observation tower to see the entire fall and some part of Horseshoe Falls. This tower was built in the year 1961 and renovated in the year 2001. Mid of mist boat ride starts at the base of an observation tower. I visited this observation deck which opens at 10 AM (winter time) and then took a walk towards Goat Island. This island is located between Bridal Veil Falls and Horseshoe Falls.

Niagara Fall, New York from Observatory deck
Niagara Fall, New York from Observatory deck

              Bridal Veil fall is the smallest fall on the river. You can see the fall from the top and it is an amazing experience. In Cave of winds ride, you can see this fall from the base. Due to winter time, the base of fall was frozen. After spending some time, I left to see the Horseshoe Falls.

Freozen Niagara fall

               The Horseshoe Falls, also known as the Canadian Falls, as most of it, lies in Canada. From America side, you need to take a walk southern tip of Goat Island. Unfortunately, there was walkway construction going on hence I could not able to see it properly. Soon it will open from American tourist so they can enjoy the bigger view of fall.

Horseshoe fall, Work under construction in March 2016

              It was one my great time to explore around 3 falls and enjoy the weather. I came back at observation deck to click more Photographs. My return journey bus was at 1 PM. It was 12 in clock and I spend around an Hour on Observation deck and in State park. In this trip, I meet new friends, 2 couples from India and a 50+ year old beautiful lady with her son from San Marino country which is surrounded by Italy.

Rainbow at Niagara, Canada on other Side
Rainbow at Niagara, Canada on other Side

Bridal Fall and American fall view

              I board my bus at 1 PM. Journey to NYC was pretty hassle free. I experienced Snowfall when I reached NYC. I explored the city on foot before I board North Metro for Stamford and reached at Hotel.

Stamford Summer Street
Stamford Summer Street

Expense:
  • Bus fare (NYC to Niagara to NYC) + Stay: $153.
  • Cab from Hotel to Stamford station: $10.
  • Metro to NYC with a return fare: $22.
  • Corning glass of Museum entry: $18
  • Old Fort Visit: $12
  • Lunch: $5 (had burger and coffee)
  • Dinner: around $10-12.
  • Coffee: $4.
  • NYC Subway: around $10.
  • Cab from Stamford station to Hotel: $10.
Places which I missed due to Time/Weather:
  • Cave of Winds attraction ride
  • Mid of mist ride
  • Aquarium of Niagara
  • Niagara Adventure Theater
Click on Travel Blog on Weekend Trip to New York City

Thanks for reading this Travel Blog. Happy traveling.

Pritesh Kulkarni
Pune, INDIA

No comments:

Post a Comment